Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Another day another doctor

Another week has come with two hospital visits this week.

The first was tues23rd Oct - to see the surgeon about the abscess on Harrison's bottom. Harrison has had this abscess since 5 weeks of age. He is now 7 and a half months old. It keeps closing over, refilling, bursting and then closing over again. It is often painful to him for me to touch it - as he mostly screams if I do.

After the bout of hospitalisation with his central line infection adn the 4 medicines he got for that the abscess seemed to be healing. However I noticed Monday that the little heads are forming again and his bottom is quite red again. Dr Harvey took a look and has decided to lay it open. I am worried what they will find when it is done, particularly if it is something more than just the surface abscess they seem to think it is.

Further, Harrison's lack of immune system can lead to serious infection - as the operation will leave a large open raw wound area right next to his anus. Not a great spot at the best of times, let alone for a kid with Harrison's immunity issues. He healed ok when they did the surgery to place his central line. But that was a 1 cm cut and not a great deal of open wound. I am frightened this will not be so successful, but the surgeon (who has delayed this surgery now 4 times) feels it is a calculated risk but worth doing now.

So this Friday we go to Gosford hospital for IVIG (Intragam - antibodies transfusion) again & then next Wednesday 31st October we go into hospital again for the surgery.

Tehn as I think I've said on the 6th we have the eye test review - which I am also worried about and then 9th hearing tests.

On a plus Harrison is rolling from side to tummy with assistance and he is babbling dada - why is it that dad always gets the first "word" - Ho Hum!

I will add a picture of him in the next post. Kids are all screaming at each other and I am close to having a melt down. Its been a very stressful week - one that I don't see getting any less stressful. ( That and we haven't yet had as many ticket sales to hte benefit night, and that is starting to worry me too. )

Thank you to all of you for reading this site. I love to see that we get lots of returning and new visitors alike.

No comments: