Monday, August 6, 2007

There's no place like home ...

Well.. we didn't click our ruby slippers together, but we are home.

The amazing nursing staff... What does one say ? We were gifted with a bunch of amazing and talented people. Our small gifts and words of thanks will never be enough to really say thank you for all that was done for Harrison and our family.

It has been a very trying journey and this photo is representative of how far Harrison has come, having a picture near the nursing station with no gloves, gowns or masks in sight.

The Children's Hospital at Westmead have outstanding staff and facilities and we were just damn lucky to have been in the right place.

Home time was a very emotional time, Scott and I got very emotional saying our thanks, and I burst into tears after exiting to the hallway from the ward. 10 weeks of worry, stress and sleepless nights filled with questions swelled to overflowing and came out as tears. I remember saying I can't believe we are actually going home, and I am still as emotional today as I was the day we left. We are taking Harrison home, and there was a time where I thought that it may never happen.

Strange what you get used to - I became reliant on the nursing staff and have to say I am worried at being home and keeping Harrison germ free. But I know I have great people that I can call at a moments notice and ask.

The house looked so different. I felt like I was stepping for the first time into a new home again. Everything was so clean and tidy, not the house I remember leaving !!

Scott put up the ISOLATION sign at our front door. It's funny watching people who walk by read the sign, like we are in quarantine. But it's still so true, cause a bug will make him sick again and so we keep telling the kids to wash their hands, not go too near Harrison and cover their mouths if they cough, just in case.

The weekend will be different - I will be on my own with the kids most of the time, we'll see if I survive!!

When we came home there was so much stuff in our room , the car was full to the brim.. I still have to unpack all of it, scary how much you collect in 10 weeks!!
Posted by Picasa

No comments: